It’s funny how things can change with a phone call. As I sit and write this I should be keeping a watchful eye on Piglet. I should be explaining to Tigger that he’ll have to miss his swimming lesson this week.
Except I’m not.
I’m not doing either of these things as at 4pm on Wednesday a phone call from the hospital cancelled Piglet’s pending tonsillectomy operation. An operation that was due to take place the following day.
Preparations and plans had been put into place as to how we would juggle the surgery with school, work and childcare between the two of us. All scuppered after a last-minute phone call.
We were in touching distance of getting the surgery needed for Piglet.
Whilst operations are cancelled all the time. What has frustrated me the most is that her operation was cancelled due to the surgeon questioning (code for going ballistic) why a two-year-old had been booked as a day case.
From the registrar, we saw at the ENT appointment in August, the secretary who arranged pre-assessment and operation dates. To the pre-assessment team who completed all the necessary health checks, Not one of these teams picked up or questioned whether she should be having an overnight stay.
At least we didn’t arrive at 7am to be turned away. However, I can’t help but feel deflated by it all. For weeks we have built up to this date. Worrying when she ended up in A&E again. Additional antibiotics and steroids provided to boost her up – all coming to nothing.
A new provisional date has been given for later this month. However, we have to back through the whole pre-assessment process again (there’s a waste of NHS funding). We can only hope that this time it comes to fruition and she finally gets the relief from persistent tonsilitis.