Spring is nearly giving way to summer and that means one thing: enjoying the garden more when the sun shines! You don’t want to spend all summer getting the garden in great shape – take the chance now to make these five easy garden updates.
#1 Replace your garden dining set
Why, oh why, do we perch precariously on plastic chairs summer after summer? Cheap and practical they may have been, but it is time to ditch the plastic chair and the wonky dining table and opt for classic dining set instead.
To replace your garden dining set with one that is stylish, practical and will last for years to come, you need to consider important factors;
- Budget – when it comes to outdoor furniture, you get what you pay for. The effects of the British weather can erode most material so opt for one, like rattan or hardwood, that has a proven track record of standing up to the British weather
- Comfort – you can spend a long time enjoying the sunshine and the gentle summer breeze so opt for comfort
- Style – choose a more relaxed and styled garden set to get the most out of it
- Size – choose a dining set around which you can all be comfortably seated. For smaller gardens, consider the cube sets that push neatly together affording you more garden space when not in use
#2 Get the paintbrush out
Spring is the time to buy a few tins of your favourite garden stain and get the paintbrush out. Keep an eye on the weather forecast choosing a day to paint or stain the decking, wooden garden furniture or the shed on a dry day and one that is forecast to be followed by another dry day or two.
Before you make a start, de-clutter the garden and have a good tidy up too. Wash down decking and patio, as well as giving your garden furniture and any stored items a good wash down too.
Allow items to dry naturally on a breezy day rather than standing in direct sunlight. Take your time painting and staining as the extra layer of protection and nourishment will be welcomed by wooden items such as wood decking and balustrades.
#3 Add interest with pots
Just like an interior room, a stylish garden benefits from a focal point. From a beautiful cascading waterfall to a tasteful sculpture, there are many ways you can do this.
But if your garden still looks flat and one-dimensional, you need to add interest. And you can do this by adding;
- Form – When a room or garden looks flat, it is usually because there is too much uniformity between key items. In other words, vary the height level with by adding details such as cluster colourful pots together but have them in the same style but varying in height.
- Colour – Whilst colour is fabulous in the garden – that’s what garden are all about! – too many shades and tones stop it looking coherent and more chaotic. Choose one or two colour for pots and other details, sticking with this colour but varying the shades.
#4 Get clever with lights
The garden should be enjoyed for as long as possible from the first hints of spring warmth right through summer until the cooler, but gloriously colourful evenings of autumn. If you can, squeeze an hour or two in winter, huddled around the fire pit.
And it should be a space that you enjoy late into the evening. Lighting is, therefore, key to creating a space that is not only practical but romantic too.
Better still, it doesn’t come with a bill from your local electrician as there are many solar powered options, from pretty string lights to spotlights and security lights too.
#5 Get planting
And finally, spending a spring afternoon potting up plants and adding blooms to the flower borders is essential for many reasons;
- A riot of colour – plant reds, oranges and yellows in very sunny spots, keeping cooler shades of flowers – the pinks, whites and blues – for a shadier spot. From shrubs to bedding plants, set yourself a budget for summer flowers and then nip down to your local plant nursery for trays and pots of flowers.
- Heaven scent – choose plants and blooms that have a scent to them. You’ll enjoy the delicate aroma of sweetness at various times in the day, but most plants give off their light scent in an evening, perfect for when you are enjoying your evening meal at your new garden dining set…
Rattan Direct has been helping customers to enjoy their gardens throughout all four seasons for many years now. From rattan garden dining sets to garden sofas and loungers, they have you need to transform your outdoor space.