AD | Featured
Over the decades, the goal of education has shifted from teaching young people how to think about the world and their place in it toward a more practical type of job training. As a result, more and more students are being asked to explain and articulate their career goals at some point in their college careers, whether it’s in a college application or scholarship essay, or as part of their regular coursework. Because it’s important to be able to talk effectively about your career goals, you will need to develop effective writing skills to share those goals in a way that your audience will react to and understand.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the most effective ways to write about your career goals.
Top 5+ Questions for Your Career Goals Essay
In order to write about your career goals, you will first need to have career goals. Some students have a strong understanding of where they want to go and how they want their degree to get them there. Others, however, are less sure about where their careers will take them in the coming years. To help develop a list of career goals, it can be helpful to consider some key questions:
- How do I want to impact society?
- What are my short-term and long-term career goals?
- What major will help me reach my goals?
- What skills do I need to develop to reach my goals?
- Where will I be in ten years?
- What events in my life have contributed to my goals?
Answering these questions can help to clarify your goals and highlight key themes and ideas that you’ll need to use to write about your career goals. In this case, you can look through your answers for commonalities or insights that will contribute toward a more complete understanding of your career goals. Once you have selected the main idea for your career goals, you’ll be able to outline a strong and effective paper that will help you to achieve those goals by articulating them for an audience.
Many essays in which you write about your career goals will follow a similar template, so looking at one of the usual ways that these essays are typically created will help you to prepare for the most common ways you’ll be asked to talk about your career.
The Structure of an Essay about Career Goals
The usual ways career essays are written follows a five-paragraph format.
- Introduce your topic. The introductory paragraph will capture the audience’s attention with a hook that will lead them into the paper. Your introductory paragraph will need to talk about the main idea of the essay and indicate what you will be discussing. The exact nature of the introduction will vary depending on the essay prompt. For example, some essays may ask you to talk about a memorable incident, and others might ask you to imagine yourself in the future.
- Provide context for your career goals. This is the place to dive into your past and explain what brought you to the place you are today. You might, for example, talk about someone who inspired you, or a memorable event that shaped you. By explaining how you came to develop your goals, you will create a powerful context for your goals.
- Discuss your immediate (short-term) goals. Here, you should discuss why you selected your major and how your degree will help you to begin pursuing your career goals. What do you expect to happen during your studies and immediately after graduation? Discuss your near-term goals for how you will begin your next career step.
- Discuss your long-term goals. Where do you see yourself in ten years? What do you want to accomplish over time? In this paragraph you should talk about what kind of impact you want to make over time. Remember, most people’s long-term career plans will change, and few people will finish their careers on the same path they started, so you will do well to talk in generalities about what you want to accomplish rather than specific job titles to achieve.
- Conclusion. The final paragraph should bring the paper together, give the reader something to think about, and draw everything to a close. Try to be forward-thinking and offer a philosophical idea about the deeper meaning behind your career goals.
How to Deal with an Out-of-Format Urgent Career Essay
Remember, not every career essay will follow exactly the same format. This is just a rough guide to some of the more common ways that students organize their career goals essays, particularly application essays for scholarship. Be sure to always follow the instructions and prompts for your particular essay. It can also be helpful to engage in a little creativity and mix up the formula where appropriate to help your paper to stand out from the crowd and get noticed.
If you find that you need help developing a career goals essay, help is never more than a click away when you pay someone online to write papers for you with a legitimate writing service like WriteMyPaperHub.com. When you contact online experts and say, “Will you write my papers for me?”, a dedicated and experienced essay writer will create a customized and individualized essay for you that will meet your every need. When you use the power of experts to develop a model career goals essay, you’ll have an advantage that can help you stay a step ahead of the competition in any application process.