I’m always on the look out for tasty treats to bake with the children. I’ll take a peek in my baking cupboard to see what we have available before heading over to browse the Tate & Lyle recipes. Whether we are looking to make jam tarts, flapjacks or scones we can always find something tasty to bake.
One of our favourite things to bake together is our family favourite flapjacks…
Family Favourite Flapjacks
- 295g (10½oz) unsalted butter
- 250g (9oz) Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 500g (1lb 2oz) rolled porridge oats (not the jumbo variety)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160° Fan, 350°F, Gas 4 while you combine the butter and Golden Syrup in a large non-stick saucepan. Heat gently until melted, then remove from the heat and stir in the oats and salt.
- Spoon the mixture into a 20cm (8”) shallow square loose-bottomed tin, greased and lined with parchment paper. Level and press firmly with a palette knife to smooth. Bake on the middle shelf for 25 minutes, until gorgeously golden brown on top.
- Remove and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes (you can trim the crisp edges if you like), then cut into squares while still warm. Leave to cool for a further 15 minutes,and lift out of the tin to cool completely on a wire rack – just discard the parchment, and you’re ready to serve.
Boo Roo and Tigger Too’s thoughts…
Having many happy memories from baking with my Mam and my Granny as a child I do love any excuse to get into the kitchen with the kids. Having access to a range of recipes using Lyle Golden Syrup (a family favourite) available at our fingertips means that we are always able to find something new to try.
The flapjacks are a simple and easy bake, and perfect to add to Roo’s lunchbox or as an after school treat. Flapjacks can be so easily changed to make them a little different with the addition of raisins, cherries or almonds etc.
What’s your favourite tasty treat to bake with the children?
Disclosure: We received a Tate & Lyle hamper FOC for the purpose of review