It’s Tuesday once again and back to the busiest day of my week when it comes to playing the Mum taxi service. Roo has a busy schedule of activities today which sees me dashing here and there to get to where she needs to be whilst ensuring that she is washed and fed in-between.
My typical Tuesday:
8.30am – Drop Roo and Tigger off at school
3.30pm – Collect Tigger from school
4.30pm – Collect Roo from football club
6.00pm – Drop Roo off at Cub Scouts
7.45pm – Collect Roo from Cub Scouts
In-between these times I need to make sure that Roo has had a bath following football, has her Cub Scouts uniform ready and on as well as ensuring she has a hearty meal as she is starving from playing football. The rest of the week isn’t much easier between trying to cram in homework, other after school activities and any chores that we need to complete after school (doctors, dentist, haircuts etc.).
The dinner dilemma causes a headache for families across the country, and celebrity mum and recipe author Fay Ripley has joined forces with Red Tractor beef and lamb to bring you the perfect solution – the midweek mini roast! Cooked in the oven in under 50 minutes, a beef or lamb mini roast means you can serve-up the kids’ favourite dinner any night of the week.
Fay Ripley said:
“As a working mum of two I understand how busy it is during the week. I’m often running around from after school clubs, the sports field – all on top of trying to fit in the homework and put a nutritious meal on the table. The midweek mini roast offers a perfect solution. You can choose the different sides that fit your family’s taste and it’s so easy to cook, meaning that when it’s in the oven you have time for the other weekly activities or a precious few minutes for yourself!”
Fay has created an online video to show you how easy it is and to offer some thoughts and exclusive tips on catering for a busy family, plus some great recipe ideas, visit www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
Fay Ripley’s midweek mini roast recipe
Beef Mini Roast with a Smoked Paprika Rub and Jewel Rice
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes (for medium)
- 1 x 400-450g/14oz-1lb lean beef mini roast
- 5ml/1tsp oil
- A little salt
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 2.5ml/1Ž2tsp smoked paprika powder
(For the Jewel Rice)
- 200g plain rice of your choice
- 100g/4oz frozen peas
- Small bunch fresh mint
- Fresh cucumber and yogurt relish
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Place the joint in a small roasting rack lined with foil and make several slits over the surface. Add the oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over the smoked paprika and rub generously over the joint. Roast for 40-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice and the peas separately according to the packet instructions. Drain and stir together.
- Remove the joint from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly chop the mint and stir through the rice.
- Remove any meat bands or butcher’s string from the joint, carve and serve with the vegetable rice and the relish.