Why is it the nights that you have nothing pre-prepared for dinner, are the ones when you are at your most busiest? Family life is hectic at the best of times but throw in a few after school clubs, multiplied by how many children you have and soon you are left wondering why you didn’t become a chauffeur – at least then your clients might leave you tips.
On these busy family nights I turn to the array of Hello Fresh recipes available on their website. Did you know that you can access these even if you haven’t been prepared enough to order one of their meal boxes? Given that you can receive some delicious dishes delivered to your door ready for you to cook. You can imagine how amazing their recipe collection is!
Divided into different sections you can easily find the type of dish you are looking for. From low-calorie options, vegetarian and world cuisine. As you can imagine with three children, two of which are social butterflies and love to attend an after school activity or two, I tend to stick with the quick meals section.
Speedy Sausage Pasta
Quick family meals in 20 minutes, means that I’m able to prepare a family favourite like Speedy Sausage Pasta whilst the children are getting changed and putting their bags away.
This tasty but simple recipe allows me to tailor it towards our families taste and palette. From switching out the pork and oregano sausages for plain sausages, a
How to make Speedy Sausage Pasta
Ingredients (for a family of four):
- 600g pork and oregano sausages
- 400g Wheat Rigatoni Pasta
- 2 sachets of Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 sachets of Tomate Puree
- 2 pots of red wine stock
- 2x Finely Chopped Tomatoes 390g
- 20g Basil
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
- 100ml wate
- Boil the kettle. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the sausage meat and fry until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon (keep it quite chunky!)
- Fill a saucepan with boiling water, add the rigatoni, return to the boil and cook until al dente. When cooked, drain the pasta in a colander and drizzle over a little oil to stop it sticking together.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the sausage meat and allow to evaporate for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for 2 mins.
- Next add the finely chopped tomatoes, stock pot, water (see ingredients for amount) and a pinch of sugar (if you have some) to the frying pan. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the stock pot, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thick and tomatoey.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the basil (stalks and all). When the sauce is cooked, stir through the spinach a handful at a time until wilted, 2-3 mins. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
- Toss the rigatoni in the sauce, along with half the cheese and half the basil, until well coated. Serve in bowls finished with a sprinkling of the remaining cheese and basil. Enjoy!
Voila! A quick family meal prepared, cooked and served in 20 minutes. Now it’s time to sit down, enjoy your dinner and chat about the news of the day – the highs, the lows and the funniest moments.
Be sure to check out the full range of quick family recipes available from Hello Fresh. Please do pop back and tell me which ones you have tried!