Are you looking for a breakfast booster that will keep you going until lunchtime? Why not make your own granola which is crunchy and sweetly satisfying yet lower in calories than shop-bought brands. Add your favourite nuts, fruit and seeds to create your own flavour combination and texture.
Make your own walnut, sultana, pumpkin & sunflower seed granola
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 300g jumbo oats
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 40g walnut pieces
- 1 large egg white – beaten
- 1 1/2 heaped tbsp Hermesetas Granulated
- 75g sultanas
- 75g dried apricots – chopped
Serves: 12 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
Saves 56 calories per serving (compared to leading brands).
Suitable for vegan and vegetarian diets.
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet and preheat the oven to 150C/Gas Mark 2
- Mix together the oats, seeds and nuts then set to one side
- Lightly beat the egg white with the sweetener until frothy then add the oats, seeds and nuts and jumble together to ensure all are well coated
- Spread evenly on the baking sheet and cake for 15 mins turning a couple of times
- Now add the sultanas and apricots, mix together well on the tray and bake for a further 10 minutes. Leave the granola on the baking sheet until it cools.
- Store in an airtight container and your granola will keep for at least 2 weeks
Why not try adding different nuts or dried fruit. Or adding other rolled grains such as wheat or barley.