AD | Featured
If your child is surfing the internet, you should be constantly by his side or at least carefully watching what they are doing. While the internet offers many goods (educational materials, fun games and connections to people around the world), it can also pose a risk to your child’s physical safety and emotional well-being.
Rules of Protection
These basic rules apply to keeping children safe online:
- Set boundaries: Allow your child to spend free time online (ie 30 minutes immediately after school) chatting with friends, playing games or visiting social networking sites, but the rule is that family time starts with dinner. After that, the computer is used for work at home and not used for gaming or chatting.
- Continuous Checks: Place the computer in a central part of the house. Your child is less likely to browse suspicious content if he or she knows that mom or dad (or sibling) can look at the computer at any time while surfing. This helps you keep track of the time he spends online, his selected activities as well as his consequent behavior.
- Content Search: Check your browser history to find out what your child sees online and check the sites they visit regularly. Use security tools and privacy features, either from your browser or your ISP, or purchase a parental control program separately.
- Make sure the protection settings for websites and software that your children use are enabled . There are tools available through your ISP that help you manage your child’s internet browsing (e.g. suitable websites, time available on the internet, who can and cannot communicate with them). It may also include other security features, such as additional adblock applications.
- Keep an eye on the websites your children use and learn how to manage inappropriate material.
- Talk to them about the consequences of posting inappropriate images that can be used by strangers to harm them and anything else that could lead to defamation or destroy a friendship.
- Remind them that the internet is a public space. The things they do and say now on social media could have an impact on their future when they look for a job (employers often look for personal profiles for information about candidates).
- Stay up to date with your kids ‘latest ways of communicating and what they do when in friends’ homes.
- Track the websites they visit by holding the computer in a common area such as the kitchen.
- Educate them about the dangers of using the camera with people you or your children do not know. The video that is being transmitted over the internet is permanently out there and can be saved by anyone for future viewing or distribution! If your computer has been compromised, another user could remotely control your camera, so if you have an external camera, unplug it or cover it when not in use.
- Talk to other parents about their children’s online privileges and what they do to protect them.
- If your child uses live chat rooms for online games, warn them not to give out personal information to a stranger.
- Be careful about what you post about your children or related activities, such as the location of their school, or your involvement in volunteering.
Kids using social media
Social media can be really great for kids and give them access to opportunities, communication and making friends. It’s important to look at the best options for them which will also allow them and you to use the data for a better price. https://halfcooked.co.uk/voxi-review/ will give you a better insight into the best options for getting more data. When kids use social media, it can help them connect and learn new skills. We need the company of others to prosper in our lives and the power of our relationships has a huge impact on our mental health and happiness.
When we connect socially with others, the levels of stress, anxiety, and depression decrease, self-confidence, joy, loneliness decrease, and thus we add years to our lives. On the other hand, the lack of strong social relationships can endanger our mental and emotional health. Nowadays, many people rely on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube and Instagram to find people to connect with. Like everything else, social media has its advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to remember that they do not replace true human contact. Interpersonal contact is needed to release the stress hormones that relieve stress, make us happy, healthy and optimistic.
The positive side of social media for kids (and adults alike)
Virtual interaction on social media does not have the same psychological benefits as interpersonal contact. But social media helps:
- Connect with family and friends around the world.
- Make new friends or join groups of people who have similar interests to you.
- Participate in important moves that involve serious issues.
- Ask for or offer emotional support during a difficult time.
- Connect with people if you live in a secluded area.
- Find ways to express yourself creatively.
- Discover sources of information and learning.
Use your internet data for beneficial reasons
The internet is a great place for people to learn. E-learning is something that is so prevalent today. They can play interactive games also that help them learn. It is a fact that the age in which we live is based to a very large extent on technology. And how can it not be, since every day that passes robotics and the data related to it are constantly evolving. As a result, everything is done electronically and through technology devices. So education could only depend to some extent on technology.
Nowadays you can surf the internet to find all the necessary information you need about every topic. This is a consequence of the various search engines, which are growing daily and highlighting on the internet data, articles, studies, information on every scientist. All you have to do is enter the correct word or phrase for what you are looking for and pressing the button will present you with a wealth of data to edit. The processing of the data and their source are very important, in order to get the correct and valid information.
In the old days we used to refer to encyclopedias for every topic we wanted to study or work on and whilst books are still important, it isn’t always easy for families and people to buy books as well as pay for data on the internet. This encyclopedia is now called Wikipedia and is online. It is updated daily and provides assurance that the information we receive is valid and timely. The main advantage of this form of data search is that any development in something that we took for granted and that time has changed goes directly to the internet, while of course in a printed encyclopedia such a thing can not happen.
Also, you can easily refer to the part of what you are researching or studying by pressing the keyword for your search, while you can at any time search for what you need, as long as you have access to a computer and the internet. Of course, in order to be able to use the internet and the search engines that it provides you and to help in the field of education, you must, first of all, have learned how to use it and what things you should avoid in it.
As a result, it will be a real source of education and knowledge for you and not malicious actions, which are intended to benefit you and deceive you. A good way to avoid these malicious actions is to have an online protection program. Regarding the articles that you will read in order to get the necessary information that you need, you should see the reliability of their source and always cross-reference this information with other relevant articles and studies.
It is no coincidence that in school now, even at the young ages of primary school children, the subject of computers is taught. For children, computer learning becomes a more enjoyable process, as it is much easier and more interesting for them to operate a technology device than books, which have always been a negative psychological factor in their minds to read them and get the necessary information.
Learning in COVID times
Video-Conferencing now is also something to look at which requires an internet connection. also enables people to remotely communicate with each other through special applications. This development has not stopped. Scientists promise a lot for the future, while artificial intelligence, the experienced systems that develop a dialogue with the user, is now a fact. It’s time to allow your kids into the 21st century but with a little security and a little knowledge. Knowledge is power and in COVID 19 times, it’s important to allow your kids to soak up new information in any way, especially after the long pause in their education. Times are changing but things are going to be just fine.