Spring is officially here, and that can only mean one thing, Easter! With the half term holidays slowly creeping upon us, it’s time to get thinking of things you can do to keep your little ones entertained and have some fun! Keeping the Easter theme in mind, why not do some baking? Everybody loves baking and it’s the perfect way to get your little ones to take part in something educational as well as exciting. By getting your children involved in baking, you’re encouraging them to use their skills and learn all about different foods and how they’re made. One of my all-time favourite Easter recipes has got to be “Yummy Chocolate Nests”, they’re easy to make, create less mess and best of all, they taste really, really good!
Before you begin, make sure your kitchen is ready and fully equipped with everything you need for your yummy nests. Clear some space and make a nice area for you to bake your nests in if you are working on a higher surface, why not find a small stepping stool so that your little one can stand next to you and properly help you prepare your nests.
Another great feature to have in the kitchen to encourage learning would be a small chalkboard or white board. This can be used to write down ingredients, stages for the baking or even measurements of what you will need and you can get your little one to read out to you, or even help you write on there to keep them involved and interested. If you don’t have much space for this on your wall you could even place it on the inside of your kitchen cabinet doors, especially the cupboard that hold all of your baking items! Once you have prepared your space, you’re ready to begin with your baking…
Easter Fun | Yummy Chocolate Nests
So for your Yummy Chocolate Nests, you will need the following:
- 100g of Chocolate
- 50g of Butter
- 2 tablespoons of Golden Syrup
- 100g of Cornflakes or Rice Krispies
- Start by melting the chocolate into the bowl, you can do this in the microwave or on the hob
- Once the chocolate has melted you can add the butter and the syrup.
- Ensuring the bowl isn’t too warm, you can get your little one to start stirring the ingredients together whilst you begin to slowly add the cereal you have chosen to the mix
- Keep on mixing until every little cornflake or rice crispy is covered in chocolate, then you’re ready for the next step.
- Lay out your paper cases onto a tray and then slowly begin to spoon the mixture into the cases. See if your little one can help you scoop the mixture and fill every case.
- Once you’re happy that your cases are full, you could opt for a little extra and place something on top of the nest. Mini Eggs and Smarties are great for this as they’re small, yet still very tasty!
- Then place the nests in the fridge and leave them for an hour or so to set, you could get your little one to help you keep an eye on the time.
- Once you’re happy that your nests are set, it’s time for the best part, you can eat them!
Your little one can now enjoy their hard work and enjoy a yummy chocolate nest!
Written by Jasmine Smith