Your home is your castle, so they say. Well my humble terraced house may not be a castle however I’m aiming for more small but perfectly formed.
Starting upstairs and working our way down throughout the house finishing in the bathroom we hope over the next few years to slowly renovate our home. First on our list is the two main bedrooms, Tigger’s nursery was stripped and decorated just before Roo was born and it is still in great condition so for the time being we are leaving it alone.
The plan of action
- Remove all skirtings, architraves and door liners
- Fit new door liners, door with hinges, catch and new handles
- Block up entrance to overstairs cupboard from bedroom 2 and knock through cupboard back into rear bedroom and line with plasterboard
- Skim inside of cupboard with thistle multi finish over taped joints
- Skim all walls smooth finish
- Fit coving to all walls, skirting and architrave
- Paint ceilings, walls, coving, skirting, doors and architrave
- Fit underlay and carpet
- Install new blinds and window coverings
So for as long as I can remember I have been stripping woodchip off the walls in preparation for the builders to start. Unfortunately we were let down by a couple of different firms, however we have a new one and worked started yesterday. In order for all this work to be done we have to clear out the bedrooms as best we can.
Our weekend consisted of packing up the rooms, storing items in the loft, dining room, well anywhere there was an empty space to be honest. I took down Tigger’s cotbed and moved Roo’s bunkbeds into his room and to say it is a squeeze with most of the other furniture in there too would be an understatement, but it’s only for a week or two.
Why are we getting the work done? Simply because what is existing isn’t functional. Whilst the doors are original to the house c1900 most of they do not close with ease, the skirting boards are damaged, rotten and old. The door linings are again original and well have seen much better days.
I can’t wait for the work, dust and mess to be over and done with