When we think of saving money around the home we often think about the short-term fixes like switching lights off, changing light bulbs and not leaving the tap running when you’re brushing your teeth to make savings. There are many ways in which you can save money around the home and it shouldn’t just be the short-term benefits that we should be looking at.
When we moved home last month we were surprised to find that our landlord had installed a water softener, which is still seen as somewhat of a luxury item even though we live in a hard water area and the benefits of having one installed can be seen in both the short and long-term.
Benefits of having a water softener
- Cleaner and shinier glassware and cutlery in the dishwasher
- Softer skin and clean, smooth hair
- Reduced soap curd makes cleaning easier and reduces housework
- Uses less soap and shampoo because of the rich lather softened water and soap produces.
- Softer clothes without hard minerals trapped in the fabric, which allows fabrics to last longer and whites stay whiter without the dingy gray caused by hard water
- Preserves the life of all water appliances such as coffee machines, dishwashers, water heaters and washing machines
- Saves money on monthly energy costs and damages to appliances
Additional money-saving solutions around the home can be taken from the commercial setting such as infrared taps which reduce water and energy usage and increasing hygiene through an automatic no-touch operation (great for children).
Disclosure: This is a collaborative post