750g/1 ½lb Potatoes
1 level teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
100g/4oz Cheddar Cheese
1 small Onion (optional)
1 small tin of baked beans (optional)
Oven proof dish
1. Light the oven gas 6/200oC.
2. Peel the potatoes, cut to even sized pieces – as these are going to be mashed I would suggest cutting smaller than you would normally as this cuts cooking time and saves energy too.
3. Place in a pan, cover with cold water and add salt.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 mins until cooked – this may vary depending on how big you have cut your potatoes.
5. (Optional) While the potatoes are cooking, peel and chop the onion and grate the cheese.
6. Drain the potatoes, mash with the margarine, milk and ¾ of the cheese.
7. (Optional) Add the onion and season to taste
8. (Optional) Open the tin of beans, place in the base of the oven-proof dish.
9. Place potato mixture into the oven-proof dish.
10.Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
11.Bake near the top of the oven for 20-30mins.
Serve with freshly boiled green vegetables or in the case of my family add tomato ketchup!
This is a family favourite and my entry for Red Ted Art’s & Appliances Online competition.