A rye twist on porridge, freshly warmed wholesome flapjacks, a batch of quick-and-easy blueberry pancakes or a bowl full of cinnamon enthused oatmeal…breakfast doesn’t haven’t to be boring. It is, however, the most important meal of the day and if you choose to miss it, you’ll miss out. In fact, skipping breakfast can slow down your metabolism, which means you’re more likely to binge during the day.
Making the time
Even if it means rising half an hour earlier than you normally would, making time for a sit-down breakfast is a must. Quite simply grabbing a slice of toast as you run out the door isn’t the same. Thankfully, there are a number of quick and easy breakfast ideas to choose from, many of which are perfectly suited to those with a hectic schedule.
Make breakfast the evening before
If you’re really pushed for time in the mornings, making breakfast the evening before is a great idea. From the likes of banana bread and flapjacks, both can be made in batches, which means they’ll more than likely last you the entire week.
For those on a budget
Pancakes have to be one of the easiest, most cost-effective and quickest breakfast recipes available. You can even prepare the ingredients the night before. If you’ve never made pancakes before, you should begin with a basic formula. Busy cooks can get the perfect pancakes with this recipe every time. Once you’ve practised a few times, you can then begin to think about adding different toppings and flavours, such as cinnamon, blueberries and bananas. Some will even opt for savoury pancakes.
- 100g flour (wholemeal or white)
- 1 egg
- A pinch of sea salt
- 15g butter
- 300ml milk
- Oil for frying
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, making a well in the centre
- Add the milk and egg, gradually mixing in the flour as you do so. Then whisk into a smooth batter
- Add around 1tsp of oil to a non-stick frying pan and heat. Pour in a small ladle of batter and ensure the base of the pan is entirely covered with the mixture
- When bubbles begin to form, flip the pancake over and cook the other side
- Add your favourite topping