Menstrual care products are a must-buy for women; whether it is buying every month or stockpiling them, one has to prepare for that time of the month. Today, there are several options for menstrual care compared to many years back. New products such as period pants have emerged due to the increase in technological advancements and the wave of eco-friendly products reigning today.
Now, the big question is, “which product is best for handling periods?”.
The answer is simple: you have to choose the period protection that suits you best, and there can be several! But the most suitable period product depends on your age, the time of day, your skin sensitivity or the heaviness of your flow, among others.
To help you choose the hygienic protection that suits you best, here are the specificities and advantages of each.
Sanitary pads are the first sanitary protection to have been marketed, and it is the “basic” hygienic protection. The one that every young girl uses during her first period before possibly trying out other products. They are easy to use and do not require any insertion into the vagina. This periodic protection must be changed regularly: every 4 to 6 hours maximum, or even more often if you have a very abundant blood flow. Pads are attached to the panty fabric with an adhesive strip to absorb blood flow.
Depending on the desired comfort, it is possible to choose sanitary pads with or without wings, adapted to the different underwear shapes. During the night, it is better to choose special night pads, which are longer, broader and more absorbent than those used during the day. They thus allow you to benefit from optimal protection until the morning.
- Sanitary pad is easier to use (glue it to your underwear and you are good to go);
- There are several types to suit various flow
- Leaks may occur on the edge of the panties;
- Pads may not stay in place and can shift, especially during physical activities.
- Pads are not discreet and can be visible under certain
- Finally, to avoid the risk of unpleasant odours, it must be changed at least every 4 hours.
- They are not eco-friendly
A tampon is a practical and discreet period care product. It has the shape of a small cylinder of white fabric that has to be slipped into the vagina to absorb the menstrual fluid. This periodic protection must be changed regularly, every 4 to 6 hours maximum. Not forgetting to wash your hands before and after handling the tampon is also important. It is essential to respect this rule of use to avoid cases of toxic shock syndrome, as many instances are sometimes linked to tampons’ misuse. A tampon is an excellent menstrual solution for sports, particularly swimming.
- A tampon is small, discreet and invisible;
- There are all kinds, small/large, with or without an applicator;
- The tampon is ideal for sports practices, especially swimming.
- The tampon needs to be changed on average every 4 to 6 hours, which can be stressful sometimes.
- It tends to dry out the vagina and consequently causes itching.
- Inserting the tampon into the vagina requires a little practice, especially for teenagers and first-timers.
- They are not eco-friendly
Menstrual underwear, as its name suggests, is a washable feminine lingerie made of absorbent fabrics intended to absorb blood during menstruation. A period pant looks exactly like a regular panty, but the difference lies in the absorbent crotch area. There are various models, styles and cuts of period underwear. For example, hipsters, menstrual thongs and boyshorts can be used instead of traditional protection such as tampons and pads during menstruation.
There is also swim-compatible period underwear. Some period underwear is made of cotton, like those from Weekiss, while others are made of bamboo or rayon. Period underwear is as comfortable as regular panties and measures no more than 3 mm thick while being very absorbent. Indeed, it consists of an area with several layers of fabrics with different functions, which ensure the absorption of flow and odours, ensuring impermeability.
If you have any concerns about the reliability of period panties, know that they can last up to 12 hours! In addition, there are several types of underwear, depending on their capacities: some are intended for light and medium flows, while others can absorb heavier periods. They can also be used at night since they can hold up to 3 or 4 tampons worth of blood.
- Menstrual panties are eco-friendly since they are washable and reusable.
- They are discreet, comfortable, safe, easy to use, and leakproof
- They are suitable for everyone, including teenagers
- They are economical in the long run and can be used for up to 3 years.
- They do not need to be changed at short intervals since they can be worn for longer hours.
- They are suitable for sports activities and postpartum wear.
- Period panties are expensive considering the initial purchase price, although they can be used for a long time compared to pads and tampons for one-time usage.
- They need to be washed straight after wearing and cannot be tumble dried.
In conclusion, the best option is one in which you feel comfortable and is in line with your budget, body and flow. Depending on your needs (night, sport, swimming pool, active day, etc.) and strength of the flow, the best suitable protection will not be the same for everyone. But overall, a product that offers more advantages than disadvantages is ideal!