Cereal has been a staple within my diet for as long as I can remember and I’m one of those people who if I can’t decide on what to have to eat I’ll grab a bowl of cereal. I put my love of cereal down to my Granny as she always had a selection of cereals hidden in her sideboard in the hallway which we would sit there for ages trying to decide which one to have today. With a bowl for breakfast and then another bowl about an hour before bed (just to make sure we didn’t wake up craving a midnight snack).
I have to admit to going through phases with my cereal eating, sometimes it down to cost but then other times is down to craving a healthier cereal when I am on a health kick for example. So when Kellogg’s Special K got in touch regarding their new Granola I was happy to give it a go as I quite enjoy a bowl of Special K so hoped that the Granola would add little variety to my cereal selection.
[box] Women are set to go fruit and nuts for new Special K Granola with its delicious five-grain recipe, made from Oats, Barley, Wheat, Spelt, and Rye- and it’s 30 per cent less fat than most other granolas.*
It is also fortified with 6 B vitamins and iron and will be available in two juicy varieties: Raisins & Red Apples; and Cranberry, Pumpkin Seeds & Almonds – bursting with real fruit and nut inclusions.
* At least 30 per cent less fat than the average fat content of most other granola cereals on sale in the UK & ROI[/box]
As soon as I saw the two flavours available; Raisins and Red Apples and Cranberry and Pumpkin Seeds and Almonds I was excited as they both contain elements that I love. Upon receiving and more importantly taste testing the granola I was not disappointed, I did offer some to Mr Boo and Roo but they weren’t interested (luckily for me!). At 175 kcal per serving a bowl of granola is slightly higher in calories than other cereals however after a bowl full of this you won’t be looking to snack mid-morning and keeps you going all the way up until lunchtime.
Now whilst I enjoy a bowl or two of granola it isn’t to everyone taste so I have found myself cooking with it more and more making flapjacks, crunchy oat biscuits and even muffins to encourage Mr Boo and Roo to get some more whole grains in their diets.
I’ll leave you with a fabulous recipe to make some Kellogg’s Special K Granola Muffins…
Kellogg’s Special K Granola Muffins
- 100ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 apples (cored & grated)
- 125g wholemeal plain flour
- 125g plain flour
- 75g Kellogg’s Special K granola
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Extra granola for sprinkling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4
- Line a 12 hole deep muffin tray with 12 large muffin cases
- In a jug heat the milk, eggs, oil, honey and vanilla together
- Put the grated apple in a large bowl, add the flours, granola, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon, pour in the mixture from the jug and mix briefly until the mixture just comes together
- Divide the mixture between the cases and sprinkle a little more granola over the top of each
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and well risen
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool
- Delicious served warm or cold
Disclosure: We received two packs of Kellogg’s Special K Granola FOC for the purpose of review.