For the first few months that Roo started school she had the exact same thing in the lunchbox, cheese and pickle sandwiches, a youghurt, and a piece of fruit. No matter how much I offered to make something else she always wanted cheese and pickle sandwiches. Now there is nothing wrong with a cheese and pickle sandwich but five days a week is pushing it.
Slowly she has increased her options and it varies between sandwiches, sandwich thins, sausage rolls and pasties. One of her favourite lunch box treats has to be my cheese, potato and pickle pasties. These as so simple to make and can be cut into almost any shape so can really cheer up a lunch box.
- 2x medium potatoes
- 250g cheese
- Sandwich pickle
- A packet of ready to roll puff pastry
- Cookie cutters or a sharp knife
- An egg or milk to seal pastry
- Oven tray
- Preheat your oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5
- Peal and grate your potatoes, you can diced instead of grating but I find the filling fluffier with grated potato
- Grate the cheese and mix together with the potato
- Unroll your ready to roll puff pastry and using the cookie cutters cut out your chosen shapes (I find that solid shapes like hearts, circles etc work best rather than fiddly shapes) - make sure you have a matching pair for each shape you cut
- Dab the edge of one of your shapes with milk or a beaten egg then add your filling - don't be afraid of adding too much as it will melt in the oven
- Add a teaspoon of sandwich pickle onto of your filling before adding the matching pastry shapes to cover
- Ensure the edges are pinched together and brush milk or a beaten egg over the top to give your pastry a good glaze in the oven
- Place on an oven tray and bake for 35-40mins
- Why not try different variations; add onion, leek or even some ham to alternate this delicious lunch time treat.
If like me getting your children to change their eating habits is an uphill battle then why not take a look at the the Sainsbury’s Inspiration Centre:
11 ways to pack goodness into their lunchboxes
9 super quick no cook additions to their lunchboxes
5 delicious and nutritious packed lunch ideas
Disclosure: We received a lunchbox and Sainsbury’s gift voucher FOC in order to share our lunchbox treat.