AD | Partnership
There’s one thing that can make a tired old kitchen or bathroom space look a lot more appealing and that’s changing the flooring. The trouble is this can cost quite a lot of money, especially if you have a large space to cover.
But can you get new flooring on a budget? One option is to look at cheap vinyl flooring – it’s relatively inexpensive when compared to hard tiles or wood flooring and is easy to put down. It also looks great and nowadays comes in a range of different designs.
What is Vinyl Flooring?
Vinyl flooring has been around for quite a few decades and used to be the product of choice for areas like the kitchen. It can be found in long sheets, panels or tiles and is 100% synthetic. The tiles are normally made with a fibreglass base layer and a vinyl covering hold a particular pattern that is printed on top.
Sheets or tiles are usually applied to a solid surface with glue and they can easily be cut to fit any space.
The Benefits of Vinyl Flooring
There are numerous benefits in choosing vinyl flooring. The first is that it is a cheap option if you want a great looking floor that is easy to maintain.
- Vinyl flooring can be purchased in a wide range of styles including wood, amazing mosaics and parquet effects.
- The flooring is suitable for flat, clean areas and can be laid over any hard surface.
- It’s relatively simple to lay vinyl flooring which can save you money if you want to do it yourself rather than call in a professional.
- Vinyl flooring is easy to cut and provides a durable surface that is suitable for the regular foot traffic that you find in areas like the kitchen or bathroom.
- It’s waterproof and very easy to clean and maintain. If individual tiles do need to be repaired, they can simply be lifted out and replaced with the minimum of effort.
How to Choose Vinyl Flooring
The first step is to measure the area that you want to cover. If you have a kitchen that measures 5m by 6m, you’ll need 30 square metres of tiling. The good news is that most manufacturers nowadays tell you how much space a pack of tiles will cover.
You can pick up a set of vinyl flooring tiles for as little as £5 per square metre if you shop around but the average price is between £10 and £25. For a small bathroom which is around 10 square metres, therefore, you would be spending around £100 to cover the whole floor.
Some tiles require an adhesive to be laid directly on the floor first. Other tiles have an adhesive backing and you simply peel this off and lay it down on the floor. This is usually the simplest option. The key to fitting is making sure that your floor is smooth and free of dust or particles. A clean surface ensures that each tile bonds properly and stays in place.
Cheap vinyl flooring is perfect for areas like the kitchen or bathroom. Shopping around and finding the right product is important. Pick the right design, however, it can add a good deal of style to your home.