Reading is always something that parents tell their children is important, a way to open their minds and doors in the future, however, it is often something that they forget to complete themselves. There are a host of reasons why reading is just as valuable to adults as it is to children. This is why indulging in the Adult Summer Reading Box from Books2Door is a fantastic way to delve into three bestselling authors’ popular books and enjoy hilarious novels.
Summer Reading Challenge – Not just for children
The Summer Reading Challenge is an educational competition and summer reading experience held annually in public libraries in the UK for those with a library card, organised by The Reading Agency. It first began in 1999 with the intention of encouraging primary school children to become a passionate reader by reading library books and complete activities during the summer holidays. Participants are awarded stickers and medals based on the competition’s theme per tier within their paper reading log book at the end of the summer.
Whilst the summer reading challenge was initially set up to encourage children, there is nothing stopping adults from getting involved in their own version of the adult summer reading program. After all, monkey sees, monkey does, so what better way to help encourage your own children to pick a book this summer than by them watching you do the same thing?
Adult Summer Reading Club
Indulge in some reading time whether you are sitting in the garden watching the children play, heading to the beach or simply curling up on the sofa dodging the British weather. It’s also a great opportunity to connect with your friends over the summer by creating an adult summer reading club.
You can challenge each other to see who can read the most amount of books and set a special prize for the winner, read the same books alongside each other and compare notes or simply offer encouragement and suggestions on which of the summer books you have loved and they absolutely must read. This is something that you do year after year together and see if you can beat your reading target from last year and enjoy hours of reading alongside both your friends and encouraging your children too.
Adult Summer Reading Box – 10 Books for Adults
If you are looking to set yourself up for a summer of reading then Books2Door has incredible collections of books available and their Adult Summer Reading Box is a fantastic way to delve into three bestselling authors’ popular books and enjoy hilarious novels.
Get £10 off your first order at Books2Door – Click Here
Dawn French Collection
Beloved British comedian Dawn French has been making people laugh for thirty years. As a writer, comedian, and actor, she has appeared in some of Great Britain’s longest-running and most celebrated shows, including French and Saunders, Murder Most Horrid, and The Vicar of Dibley – to name just a few.
- According to YES by Dawn French – Manhattan’s wealthy Upper East Side has its own rigid code of behaviour. One strictly adhered to by the Wile-Bingham family. Emotional displays – unacceptable. Unruly behaviour – definitely not welcome. Fin – no thanks. So when Rosie Kitto, an eccentric primary school teacher from England, bounces into this fortress of restraint with a heart as big as the city, the family quickly discovers that she hasn’t read the rule book. After a lifetime of saying no, what happens when everyone starts saying… yes?
- A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French – Meet Mo Battle, about to turn 50 and mum to two hormonal teenagers. There’s 17-year-old daughter Dora who blames Mo for, like, EVERYTHING and Peter who believes he’s quite simply as marvellous as his hero Oscar Wilde. Somewhere, keeping quiet, is Dad, who’s just, well… Dad. However, Mo is having a crisis. She’s about to do something unusually wild and selfish, which will leave the entire family teetering on the edge of a precipice. Will the family fall? Or will they, when it really matters be there for each other?
- Oh Dear Silvia by Dawn French – Silvia Shute lies in a hospital bed. Family and friends are at her side, each thinking they know the real Silvia. But so they? For Silvia hides a secret. And as her visitors gather, so the truth about her is slowly revealed…
Jill Mansell Collection
Talented author Jill Mansell’s books are full of love, life and friendship and have been bringing joy to readers for twenty-five years. She started writing fiction while working in the NHS, after joining a local creative writing class. She has since written over twenty Sunday Times bestsellers, and her books have sold over 11 million copies around the world.
Jill’s hobbies include buying stationery, particularly magical new colours of ink for the fountain pen she uses to write all her books – Jill is one of the few authors who still write their books by hand. Jill also loves people-watching and finding new characters to put in her novels. So when you’re out, make sure to always be on your best behaviour. And beware of beady-eyed authors carrying notebooks . . .
- Maybe This Time by Jill Mansell – Mimi isn’t looking for love when she spends a weekend in Goosebank, the Cotswold village her dad has moved to. And her first encounter with Cal, who lives there too, is nothing like a scene in a romantic movie – although she can’t help noticing how charismatic he is. But Cal’s in no position to be any more than a friend, and Mimi heads back to her busy London life. When they meet again four years later, it’s still not to be. Cal is focusing on his family, and Mimi on her career. Then Cal dives into a potentially perfect new romance whilst Mimi’s busy fixing other people’s relationships. It seems as if something, or someone else, always gets in their way. Will it ever be the right time for both of them?
- This Could Change Everything by Jill Mansell – On the one hand, if Elsie hadn’t written that letter – the one that only her best friend was meant to see – then she’d still be living like an actual proper grown-up, tucked up with Paul in his picture-perfect cottage, maybe even planning their wedding… On the other hand (if her true feelings hadn’t accidentally taken the internet by storm, that is) she wouldn’t have moved into the attic flat on the square. She would never have met Conor. Or got to know Lucas… And she wouldn’t have found herself falling in love with someone she really, really shouldn’t fall in love with…
- Meet Me At Beachcomber Bay by Jill Mansell – It’s summer in Cornwall, and love is in the air. But it’s not all plain sailing… Clemency loves a man who can’t quite be hers. She ropes in a friend to help hide her feelings. but wires soon begin to get crossed… Ronan’s always charmed the ladies, but it’s not working this time, If only he could undo what happened That Night. Belle seems to have the perfect boyfriend, but something doesn’t ring true. And revelations are rising to the surface… As the sunshine warms the sand and the turquoise sea sparkles, one thing is clear: buried secrets have a way of being found out.
Mhari McFarlane Collection
Sunday Times bestselling author, Mhari McFarlane, was born in Scotland in 1976 and her unnecessarily confusing name is pronounced Vah-Ree. After some efforts at journalism, she started writing novels and her first book, You Had Me At Hello, was an instant success. She lives in Nottingham with a man and a cat.
- You Had Me At Hello by Mhari McFarlane – ‘Think of the great duos of history, We’re just like them’. ‘You mean like Kylie and Jason? Torvill and Dean? Sonny and Cher?’ ‘I think you’ve missed the point, Rachel’.
Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. until it all fell apart. It’s been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away. They’d been partners in crime and the best of friends. But it’s clear that life has moved on. Ben is married. Rachel is not. Yet in that split second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. And along with it, the broken heart she’s never been able to mend.
- Here’s Looking At You by Mhari McFarlane – Anna Alessi – history expert, possessor of a lot of hair and an occasionally filthy mouth – seeks nice man for intelligent conversation and Mills & Boon moments.
Despite the oddballs she keeps meeting on dates, Anna couldn’t be happier. As a 30-something with a job she loves, life has turned out better than she dared dream. However, things weren’t always this way, and her years spent as the ‘Italian Galleon’ of an East London comprehensive are ones she’d rather forget. So when James Fraser – the architect of Anna’s final humiliation at school – walks back into her life, her world is turned upside down. But James seems a changed man. Polite. Mature. Funny, even. People can change, right? So why does Anna feel like she’s a fool to trust him?
- Don’t You Forget About Me by Mhari McFarlane – It began with four words. I love your laugh x.
But that was twelve years ago. It really began the day Georgina was fired from The Worst Restaurant in Sheffield and found The Worst Boyfriend in the World in bed with someone else. So when her new boss, Lucas McCarthy, turns out to be the boy who wrote those words to her all that time ago, it feels like the start of something. The only problem? He doesn’t seem to remember Georgina – at all…
- If I Never Met You by Mhari McFarlane – Laurie and Jamie have the perfect office romance. Everyone can see they’re head over heels. This must be true love. When Laurie is dumped by her partner of eighteen years, she’s blindsided. Not only does she feel humiliated, they still have to work together. So when she gets stuck in the lift with handsome colleague Jamie, they hatch a plan to stage the perfect romance. revenge will be sweet… But this Fauxmance is about to get complicated. You can’t break your heart in a fake relationship – can you?
Get a Free Book from Book2Door
Don’t forget to claim your free book when ordering from Books2Door, with a range of books available you decide whether to grab another book to add to your summer reading list, pick up a mindful colouring book or ease parental guilt at getting new books for yourself by treating the children to a new book (albeit for free – but they won’t know that!). Limited availability whilst stocks last, please use code FREEBOOK at the checkout to get your free book.