Instead of purchasing unhealthy, high-calorie snack bars for lunchbox treats or snack time. Why not make your own muesli bars, which are lower in calories than the leading brands. Using oats, apricots, bananas and seeds with cinnamon and Hermesetas Granulated for a sweet and tasty treat.
Make your own apricot muesli bars
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 75g dried apricots – roughly chopped
- 50g sultanas
- 2 headed tsp ground cinnamon
- 150ml boiling water
- 1 ripe banana – mashed
- 1 apple – grated
- 3 tbsp Hermesetas Granulated
- 175g rolled oats
- 40g cup mixed seeds (eg sunflower & pumpkin)
Serves: 12 bars | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20-25 mins
Saves 120 calories compared to leading brands
- Lightly oil a medium baking tray and preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4
- Add the apricots, sultanas and cinnamon to a jug or dish and add the boiling water, stir, cover and set aside
- Add the banana, apple and Hermesetas Granulated to a bowl and mix well, beating them together.
- Mix in the oats and seeds then stir in the apricots and sultanas along with all the liquid they’re soaking in. Mix well and leave to stand for 5 minutes so the oats absorb the liquid
- Spread out the mixture onto your baking tray, 1 1/2 to 2cm thick and around 15-20cm wide
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180C/Gas Mark 4
- Allow to cool, cut into 12 portions and serve
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a couple of days. Alternatively, you can store in the fridge for up to a week
You can use any dried fruit you prefer. Try with chopped nuts in place of the seeds for a little extra crunch.