This is a gifted partnership
Outdoor measuring fun is easy with this unique multi-function tool! Interchangeable, easy to plug together parts can be configured to make five different measuring tools.
What better way to learn than to learn whilst playing and exploring your local area. Getting outdoors is really important to us and whilst the long school days can sometimes dampen our plans to have fun. They can also work in our favour, especially when it comes to the children’s maths homework requirements. As their school requests that the children complete four maths tasks at home each week.
Whilst they do provide some worksheets as well a couple of math apps that they can utilise. It can all become a little monotonous week in, week out. So I’m always looking for ways to complete their requirements in a different way. Recently we have been utilising the Learning Resources 5-in-1 Outdoor Measure-Mate to not only get outdoors and explore the woodlands that surround our estate but ticking off lots of maths tasks along the way.
Learning Resources 5-in-1 Outdoor Measure-Mate
This versatile five-in-one tool is the perfect way to introduce the concept of measurement to young learners in an outdoor setting. Whether you use it for non-standard measuring or the introduction of standard units. The primary aim of the measure-mate is for young learners to have fun exploring and measuring the natural landscape. Its robust build ensures it will cope with vigorous use in rough terrain and all components can be returned and stored in the included handy mesh bag.
What’s included with the 5-in-1 Outdoor Measure-Mate
- 2x Calliper jaws
- Trundle wheel assembly featuring bird footprint tread
- Measuring stick with both centimetres and inches
- A sheet of colourful stickers
- Mesh storage bag
- Activity guide
How to utilise the Learning Resources 5-in-1 Outdoor Measure-Mate
- Vertical measure to measure freestanding objects. Utilising the handle as a base with the measuring stick attached along with one of the calliper jaws to help determine the height of objects.
- Callipers to measure internal and external dimensions of an object. Taking the measuring stick with both callipers to measure holes in trees or to see how big the pine cones or conkers are this year. Able to measure in either centimetres or inches.
- Trundle wheel to measure distances. With the measure-mate handle and measuring stick attached to the trundle wheel to provide a sturdy trundle to push along. With 1 click = 1 metre the children are able to count these aloud to measure paths etc.
- Spirit level to discover whether a surface is level (horizontal) or plumb (vertical). Located with the measuring stick the ball bearings indicate whether benches, fences and paths are level.
- Measuring stick to be used as a ruler, in both centimetres and inches. It is perfect for measuring leaves to see who has found the longest one.
Our thoughts of the 5-in-1 Outdoor Measure-Mate
As soon as I opened the box I was pleased to find that all the items where contained in a mesh bag. Perfect for ensuring that everything is able to put away as well as making it easy for us to take along with us on our adventures.
With the interchangeable elements of the measure-mate easy to fit together as well as take apart and change into a new position depending on the task at hand. Whilst they are easy to change, they do still provide a sturdy fit when slotted together and don’t come undone on their own.
The children are loving the ability to measure different sticks, pine cones, leaves etc. whilst we are out and about exploring. With the trundle wheel easy to push along even for Piglet who is at the lower end of the suggested age for the 5-in-1 Outdoor Measure-Mate.
Where can you buy the Learning Resources 5-in-1 Outdoor Measure-Mate?
The Learning Resources 5-in-1 Outdoor Measure-Mate is available to buy from Learning Resources, Amazon and other good toy retailers.