With cold season upon us, your little one is very likely to experience a blocked nose at some point. With doctors recommending no medications for young children, it leaves parents questioning what is safe to use. We have asked expert, Dr. Catherine Hood, to provide her top tips for unblocking little noses. As a practicing physician and mother of two, she has a wealth of experience.
“During the winter months, as people tend to stay indoors more, and are in closer contact, there are more shared germs, increasing the chances of getting coughs and colds. Little ones are especially vulnerable to illness and germs as their bodies are in the earliest phases of building up natural immunities. Little ones will often experience blocked nose, even when not sick. Since they’re unable to blow their noses, the mucus just collects there.” says Dr. Catherine Hood.
When little one’s get a blocked nose, they don’t just have the discomfort that goes with it, but they will also have difficulty breathing, sleeping and eating which will upset their routine. Seeing your little one experiencing discomfort will leave parents looking for a solution.
Here are Dr. Catherine Hood’s Top Tips to Unblock Little Noses:
- Use a seawater spray to loosen mucous secretions.
- Ease congestion by humidifying the air. Put a bowl of water on the radiator in the nursery, use an electric humidifier or carry your baby into a steamy bathroom.
- Raise the head of the cot slightly to help ease congestion at night.
- Use a bulb syringe carefully to unblock the nostrils and remove mucous.
- Menthol or eucalyptus can help breathing. Put menthol in a bowl of water in the nursery, use a plug in vaporizer or put some aromatic oil on a tissue and place it in the cot. Some inhalants can irritate young babies so follow the product advice.
- Give frequent, small feeds if the baby is finding it hard to feed.
While expert recommendations are important, it’s always good to hear what everyday mums think about Stérimar Baby. Research conducted by Sterimar found that the majority of parents and caregivers (86%) would recommend the product to a friend. Mummy blogger, Sophie Muncaster from SuperAmazingMum has made it part of the daily routine and advised, ‘I have put this next to the toothpaste with the aim of using it twice a day when the children have colds;’ while blogger Liska Life from NewMumOnline said it has become a must-have for her, ‘I will always have a bottle close to hand from now on, the same way I would a bottle of Calpol.’
Catherine Hood added that “Stérimar Baby is an effective and stress-free natural solution that can stop your little one’s blocked nose in its tracks. Stérimar Baby harnesses the benefits of sea water with a reduced salt content for extra gentleness. Minerals and trace elements like those found in sea water are extremely important for the balance of the internal environment of the body. Stérimar Baby works with the physiology of your baby’s nose to strengthen its defences and keep it in top condition.”
Stérimar Baby is the only 100% natural seawater nasal spray specially designed to clear and unblock little noses, which can be used from birth. The spray is very gentle yet effective. It is uniquely formulated to keep the nose in top condition so that it can fight infections more effectively. To help parents out, the pump is designed so that you can use the spray at any angle, which makes life much easier when your baby is squirming. The patented micro diffusion design of Sterimar Baby ensures that the spray can get to all the hard to reach areas of your little one’s nose and helps to thoroughly clear the whole sinus area much better.
Stérimar Baby is:
- 100% natural
- It has no preservatives or additives
- It can also be used on its own or with other medications as long and as often as required
- It has been awarded the Allergy UK Allergy Friendly Award
Stérimar Baby is available in Boots stores, on boots.com and most pharmacies across the UK for an RRP of £4.07. For additional information, please visit www.sterimarnasal.co.uk