I can remember being at my Granny’s house for pancake day and her making scotch pancakes on a special griddle pan that she had for her AGA. Those pancakes were delicious and luckily she made them all year round so I didn’t have to wait until Shrove Tuesday to enjoy them again.
Both Roo and Tigger love pancakes, Roo isn’t fussy on the type of pancake whereas Tigger will only eat the scotch pancakes that you can buy in the supermarket. Roo often asks Mr Boo to make her some pancakes on his days off as she would be happy to eat them everyday of the week is she could.
With Shrove Tuesday approaching for another year I want to try and be a little creative with our pancake fillings and move away from the traditional lemon and sugar or hazelnut chocolate spread. Princes have kindly sent me a couple of their fruit fillings, a tasty alternative to traditional sugar and lemon, the canned Fruit Fillings come in a range of delicious flavours to suit the whole family including Apple; Summer Fruits; Red Cherry; Black Cherry; Strawberry; Blackcurrant and Apple & Blackberry.
For the perfect sweet pancake treat, simply top a pancake with a generous helping of warm Fruit Filling and dust with icing sugar.
For a really impressive dessert, try these mouth-watering Black Cherry Chocolate Pancakes (my favourite way to enjoy pancakes):
- 125g self-raising flour
- 10g cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp. caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- Few drops of vegetable oil
- 150ml double cream
- 1 x 410g can Princes Black Cherry Fruit Filling
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl and stir in the caster sugar.
- Add the egg and milk and then use a hand whisk to beat the mixture together to make a smooth batter.
- Heat 2-3 drops of vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Use the batter to make 8 small pancakes, cooking them in batches. To cook, add small ladlefuls of batter to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn over and cook for 1-2 more minutes until set. Set aside on kitchen paper until all the pancakes are cooked.
- Whip the cream in a chilled bowl until it holds its shape. Sandwich two pancakes together per person with half the whipped cream and Princes Black Cherry Fruit Filling. Top with the rest of the cream and cherries. Serve, sprinkled with a little cocoa powder.
Disclosure: We received a selection of Princes Fruit Fillings FOC for the purpose of review