If you are looking for an alternative to traditional dentistry for you and your family, you should consider the benefits of a holistic dentist. Millions of families are making the move to something new and exciting in dental care.
Holistic dentists study the total relationship between oral health and the body’s general health. In the meantime, it may also reduce pain and future dental problems. It’s a philosophical difference with traditional approaches to dentistry. In the mindset of acupuncture and chiropractic care, holistic dentistry assumes the intricate integration of the central nervous system and the body’s major organs.
As Scientific American says, “oral health is important not just because it is inextricably connected to our overall health, but also because of its social, economic and psychological significance.”
5 Reasons a Holistic Dentist May be Better for Your Family
- The negative effects of x-rays will accumulate over a lifetime. So, holistic practitioners avoid unnecessary x-rays. For example, they will not x-ray the full mouth, and when they do an x-ray, they use digital technology that is 50 percent lower in radiation. Moreover, they are reluctant to x-ray children at all.
- Removing wisdom teeth unnecessarily can cause permanent paresthesia, a general numbness of lip, tongue, and cheek. Holistic dentists will not recommend extraction unless there is pain or infection.
- Fundamentally opposed to using filling compounds containing mercury, holistic dentists test patients for their compatibility with filling materials. They will test your biocompatibility in a regimen of tests that may include blood, cranial-rhythm, electrical, and muscle exams.
- Amalgam fillings are risky enough on their own, but they also leach mercury into your body tissues and circulation. That fear goes for fluoride treatments, too, which some research shows causes problems with arthritis, bone cancer, brain damage, dementia, and muscular disorders.
- Holistic dentistry avoids the surgery and pain associated with root canals and other surgical procedures. They prefer a common-sense discipline of lifestyle diet changes, natural remedies for inflammation and infection, and post-surgical pain. For instance, they will provide infrared electrical devices to apply heatwaves to areas of pain.
If you are looking for local holistic dentists, you will find more of them than you might think, fully educated and certified professionals ready to improve dental care for your family.
A holistic dentist may be better for your family
According to the American Association of Endodontics, “Approximately 5 percent to 10 percent of adult Americans are considered dental phobics—people so terrified of dental treatment that they avoid dental care at all costs.” Among them are parents who had poor and painful experiences when they were children. Those terrified parents only transfer their fears to their children adversely setting them up for bad experiences. Children listen to your scary experiences, share them with their peers, and psychologically absorb the fears of others.
But, holistic dentistry professionals train in whole person care to help them make children and adults comfortable in stress-free environments. That may be the best reason a holistic dentist may be better for your family.
Photo Credit: Natalya Zaritskaya Jon Tyson